Friday, August 3, 2012

Heeeeeey Macaroon(a)

Get it? (lame, I know) I know you sung that blog title. (you ain't gotsta lie, Craig)


Enough with the 90's song/movie shout outs.


I've had these beauts hanging in my pantry for a while now waiting on the perfect recipe.


That happened today as I was watching Barefoot Contessa. (woot, Ina!)  She made these coconut macaroons that looked ahmaaaaaazing.  She didn't dip them in chocolate or anything. Why? I don't know- maybe she forgot.  Anyways...


(There's no need for a step-by-step picture log of making a box brownie.  My 9 year olds can probably do this unassisted).  So I mixed it up, and popped it in the oven for 10 minutes. (next time, I'll bump it to 20)


Let's make the macaroon mix using THIS recipe.


(oh god.....condensed milk....coconut.....) Add 1 tsp. vanilla.

Beat 2 egg whites with salt.


Fold in the egg whites and you've got a pretty kick-a macaroon mix.


Here's where my planning took a turn south.  In my head, I pictured the coconut mixture spreading over the brownie mix better than it did.  Adjustments will be made next time...I think the brownie needs to cook by itself longer than I allowed.


Pop this in the oven till it comes out looking like this:


Let cool, cut and drizzle with chocolate.


*I die*  You'll need an extra, EXTRA tall glass of milk. (And maybe some insulin) These bites of heaven are RICH.



Recipe roundup:


Coconut Macaroon Brownies:


1 box of brownie mix made according to instructions.  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes and pull out of oven.


Coconut Macaroon: (Recipe from HERE)
  • 14 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
  • 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 extra-large egg whites, at room temperature
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • Combine the coconut, condensed milk, and vanilla in a large bowl. Whip the egg whites and salt on high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until they make medium-firm peaks. Carefully fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture.
    Spread this mixture over the semi-cooked brownies and throw back into the oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the pan.  (If coconut seems to be browning too fast, cover with tin foil loosely)


    No comments:

    Post a Comment