Friday, June 15, 2012

There's a first time for everything...

If they don't come in a tube or layed out pre-cut I ain't bakin' it. (insert southern twang here).  I came accross this gem today that I had forgotten I had.  First recipe listed: Original Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies. *sold* Let's do this.



I can line my ingredients up like a cool blogger/baker. (sike- nevermind the baking powder. Totally didn't need it. And also- yeah that's a window unit affixed with duct tape. It's South Carolina people. It get's 100 degrees. This ain't an issue of Good Housekeeping).



I sifted my dry ingredients. Not because the recipe called for it, but becuase that's what Ina Garten does and she's awesome.



Aw hell, Ina also says to make sure your eggs are room temp. No problem- she said to put them in a bowl of warm water to temper and problem solved.




Beat butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla.  Add eggs one at a time.





Add that flour/baking soda/salt in slowly.




2 cups (or of course more if you really, REALLY like chocolate) semi-sweet morsels.
Note: I may or may not have eaten a few...




I got fancy and used a melon ball thing to drop my cookies with. (so fancy I don't even know the proper name?!) A small(er) ice cream scooper so-to-say.




I think being "fancy" ruined my first ever from "scratch" cookies.  Maybe my melon baller was too small?  My cookies look NOTHING like the front cover of my book and were too thin in my opinion.  I even tried a cookie sheet for my third batch and got the same results.  They tasted good though, just not thick enough.




These fail the "break in half and watch a chocolate morsel's gooeyness stretch" test.
They tasted great.....great and crunchy, if that's your thing. I like mine soft and chewy.  I'm on the market for a slightly larger melon baller/ice cream scooper thingi.


Recipe Roundup:

Original Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened (2 sticks)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 cups (12-oz package) semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1 cup chopped walnuts (I omitted these)

Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl.  Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla in large mixing bowl until creamy.  Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Gradually beat in flour mixture.  Stir in morsels (and walnuts if using).  Drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased baking sheets.
Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 9-11 minutes.

This recipe makes about 5 dozen cookies.

(I baked 3 batches and have a huge amount left over to roll out into a log and freeze.  Logs can be stored in refrigerator for up to 1 week or in freezer for up to 8 weeks.






2 comments:

  1. I think that after frozen they may not fall as quickly.... so I hear anyway... YUM! I made the oatmeal ones from the lid of the Quaker can yesterday (minus the raisins) and YUMMY! :) soften butter better than melted, for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubt. Anything with 2 sticks of butter=winner. It'll be interesting to see how the next batch (from the freezer/frige) turns out :-D

    ReplyDelete